Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Snapshots

Lately I've been feeling pretty busy - not overwhelmed, just a steady stream of things to do, from editing articles for the school's English newspaper to hosting English Club (casual "hang out with Eileen" time for the students to practice conversation skills) to yoga and dinners with various teachers. It's definitely nice to feel like I have something to do, but I wind up with very little "down" time to upload pictures and write on here (and just breathe...)

So here are some quick updates:
I'm working with the English Newspaper Club, which is kind of awesome! My students are writing about everything from pros and cons of standardized college admissions tests to the G20 Summit meeting in Seoul in November. They are so bright and such good writers, even in their second language, that it's a real pleasure to work with them. Also I love the chance to talk to them on a 1-on-1 level after classes with 40 students! So...

I'm also pumped to be working with the English Drama Club, which will meet, write a play in English, rehearse, and preform during a TWO WEEK camp this winter, starting right after I return from my trip home for Christmas!

I leave Friday for a four-day Fulbright conference in Gyeongju City, the capital of the ancient Silla kingdom that is often referred to as "the museum without walls." I'll go to a bunch of teaching and culture meetings and get to reunite with all my friends from orientation!

Next weekend, I'll head back to Seoul to celebrate Fulbright Korea's 60th ANNIVERSARY!!!!!! Woo! After the festivities on Saturday, I'll be doing something a bit more exciting to me personally (sorry Fulbright) which is PICKING UP MY AMAZING BOYFRIEND ED ROGERS FROM THE AIRPORT! That's right folks, Seoul better prepare itself for the ER + ER phenomenon!

And, to take a look back at the past few weeks, here are some lovely collages:

My awesome fellow teacher Melanie and her friend Jane took me hiking at Gwangdeoksan, a mountain just outside Cheonan. It rained a bit, but we enjoyed our picnic of sandwiches, nectarines, fresh bread with cream cheese, white wine, coffee, and surprise free makgeolli at the top regardless! Great workout, great company, great day!

My host family took me to my host dad's hometown in Gongju for Chuseok, and I got to meet his very large extended family, stay at his family's 350+ year-old home (built by his ancestor, a Confucian sage), and participate in Chuseok traditions like making songpyeon and preparing offerings for the ancestors! Awesome!

After Chuseok, I spent my four days off in Seoul with some friends. We had a bit of shopping, a bit of culture at Gyeongbokgung (Gyeongbok Palace) and a bit of lesson planning at the hostel. Overall, a great break!

As always, there are more pictures in my Picassa Albums!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Eileen... great collages summarize each experience... artful and functional. Exciting times! Thanks for sharing it!

    Uncle Tom

    ReplyDelete