NOTE: this is called "cheating" because my thoughts are too fragmented to make these lovely little nuggets into any cohesive or crafted writing, so I'm just presenting the raw materials.
Student quote:
“This bubble gum is so pink. Then, my tongue is pink. I think it has very good American taste!” (On the Dubble Bubble sent to me by the wonderful Mac McKerral!)
Student response to "Where have you traveled?" exercise using present perfect tense:
“I want to going America. And I walking on the street in timesquare eating sandwich. I have perfect job and so busy working women.” - not quite grammatically faithful to the lesson, but I loved it.
Student response to "Why do you feel lucky."
“I feel lucky because my family can feel happy, I have good friends and I think I’m the perfect girl : )" - I am so pumped about this student's self-confidence. Her nickname is "Army," I'm not sure why, but she's a stellar student.
Just walked into my 1-7 class. they said, "teacher, self-study?" and, faced with the total irrelevance of my lesson to their success with finals, i said, "okay." wow am i a pushover...
[*Author's note: next day, walked into 2-8 class and said "this is our last class together. I will show a video and then give you time to study for finals." they said, "ooohh noooo teacher, we want lesson!" and then loved my "winter holidays and celebrations with football review game" lesson to pieces. you win some, you lose some.]
Had to tell her host mother that she hasn't worn the nice fleece pj pants she was given because her butt is too big for them... in gestures
Is thankful for her AMAZING family, her KICKASS friends all over the world who she loves and misses DEARLY, this crazy ride she's on for a year, and so thankful to have found the man of her dreams!
Being a Cultural Ambassador on the way to school...
host dad: (grabs water bottle from my backpack) what is this?
me: oh it's not trash, I'm going to reuse it. I fill it back up.
host dad: where?
me: at school.
host dad: no, I don't think that's okay. I think you must only fill it up at home. the water filter at home is the best in the world, I think.
me: oh, okay. (puts water bottle back in backpack.)
Check out this cool art slideshow!
Has the BEST best friends in the world, and a hot pink box full of chocolatey and beer-soaked jonas brothers goodness to prove it. i love you Caitlin Zakem and Mandy Simpson!!!!
Was flattered in class today when, during a "perfect girlfriend/boyfriend" exit ticket assignment, a student pointed to his friend and said, "his perfect girlfriend is Eileen Teacher," until she later realized that without her scarf on they could probably both see halfway down her shirt. oh jeez.
Cheated and opened her birthday box from home five days early... bananagrams, tooooons of dark chocolate, assorted lip balms, ginger altoids, cozy socks, a new planner and more! thank you Alex Ryan, Thomas Michael Ryan, Rhiannon Payne, and Mike Ryan (Mom and Dad) for making my (early hehe) birthday overseas WONDERFUL!
Is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pumped to find that she and her stellar roommate Jennifer Dooper are mentioned on Harlaxton's website for their fulbrighty-pants! I still miss you, oh house of Gregory Gregory, and I'm sorry for the orange juice stain!
Can't think of a better day to hear the magical words, "oh, i forgot to tell you, but your next class is cancelled."
Almost cried in front of a class today after a series of bad-morning events topped by her internet crashing instead of facilitating her fill in the lyrics lesson. saved by her students, who went along with her back-up plan of collaborative story-writing with a plot that involved her breaking out of prison using a teleporter and punching "bad students. "
Two thoughts on her school on a monday morning:
1. how freakin great is it that they turn on the seat warmers on the TOILETS in the fall?
2. errors in translation sometimes occur due to a poor understanding of slang, like when they decided to hang a banner on the school wishing the 3rd graders well on their national standardized test and the only English words are "Happy Ending!"
Is loving her life in Korea. that being said, she is REALLY tired of being evaluated based on a culture that is obsessed with fitting in and following trends. she will eat rice when she feels like it and wear long sleeves when she is cold, not when people recommend that 4 cups of rice at lunch will make her happier and when the calender dictates that "winter fashion is now IN." jeez.
canNOT believe she has to wait until December 16th to see the new HP movie... but you better believe she's going to be hitting up Cheonan's Yawoori theater in costume, hopefully flanked by students she can harrass into going with her ;)
Had a ROCKIN Halloween conquering Gyeryongsan with her awesome teacher friends Melanie and Jane, and of course, Makgeolli Dude! Now to conquer the dreary "L twins" of Sunday afternoons: lesson planning and laundry...
Is homesick and missing her BG people for the upcoming most hallowed of holidays... also wanting to head to three bros and get apple pie shots to welcome the fall weather... :(
No comments:
Post a Comment