Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Camp Fulbright!

The Fulbright Korea program uses "Camp Fulbright" as a way to give us teaching experience and feedback before we are sent to our placement schools in August, and also as a way to provide Korean students with a two-week, intensive, English camp. We have about 120 students ages 9 - 17 from all over Korea living at Jungwon U with us right now, and they are so smart and sweet! Each teacher-in-training gets to teach three times duing the two week camp, and we get evaluated by a current English Teaching Assistant (basically someone who has been in Korea teaching for at least one year) and another ETA-in-training (our peers).

Although today was my first day of teaching in Camp Fulbright, we still had Korean class in the morning as usual, and I finally managed to snap a picture with my two amazing teachers (sawnsaengnims,) Hye Sun Kim and Choi Su Jeong:


Today's CF theme was "Art," so I taught a lesson about adjectives using the "exquisite corpse" surrealist game. The vocab words I taught included 'menacing,' 'drooling,' 'grotesque,' and 'exquisite,' and my 11 middle-school students were awesome! They participated and seemed to enjoy the lesson, although the art project was their favorite I'm sure. Of their wonderful works, this is my favorite:


One of the students wrote on his worksheet, "She is look like a she-devil. Her body is look like a girl ghost. Her legs are disordered and scrawny. Her feet is grotesque, because there is octopus legs and have gun, sword, and bombs, so this picture can be called "Mysterious Alien."

I can already tell I am going to love my job here :)

Jillian and I were really pumped to have our first lessons done, and we snapped a shot in our teacher clothes before getting some celebratory ice cream:

No comments:

Post a Comment